21 June 2021
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez unveiled the National Historical Markers from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) of the Official Residence of the Philippine Ambassador to the United States. The unveiling is of deep significance and great importance as it coincides with the 75th anniversary of the formal establishment of diplomatic relations between the Philippines and the United States.
The Ambassador was joined by PH Embassy Consul General Jose Victor Chan-Gonzaga, US State Department Philippine Desk officials Mr. Brian Frere and Mr. James Shea, and former Head of the Philippine National Commission on Culture and Arts National Committee on Monuments and Sites Ivan Henares during the unveiling ceremony.
“It is clear that the relationship between our two countries will always be of manifest importance then and now. We have shared values, a shared history, and a long-standing friendship…seeing how far the Philippines has come, insights can be drawn for forging ahead into the future. We will endure, we will not waver, and we will toil as those who came before us did, in fighting for democracy, for freedom, for prosperity, for social justice.” said Ambassador Romualdez.
The Ambassador also shared that “63 years ago, Presidents Carlos Garcia and Dwight Eisenhower signed a joint communique embodying Philippine-American friendship and mutual goodwill at the Filipiniana Room just a few steps from where we are today.”
The installation of National Historical Markers for the Official Residence of the Philippine Ambassador to the United States was approved by the NHCP on 10 May 2021. The cast iron marker will be installed on the Residence’s façade within the year.
It was designed by Waddy B. Wood and built in 1904 by William Lipscomb and Company for Retired General and Mrs. Charles L Fitzhugh. In 1913, Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon had the opportunity to visit and was impressed by the structure and design of the house. In 1946, the house was acquired by the first Philippine Ambassador to the United States Joaquin M. Elizalde. Then in 1949, the Philippine Government bought the property from the Elizaldes. Since then, it has become the official residence of succeeding Philippine Ambassadors to the United States.