Report of Birth: Application by Mail

The birth of a Filipino should be reported to and registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority through the Embassy/Consulate General having jurisdiction over the locality where the event took place. Please check the Consulate Finder for the states/territories covered by the Embassy/Consulates General in the U.S.

The Consular Officer may require additional proof or documents from applicant to determine the child’s citizenship, identity, or eligibility for registration of birth under Philippine laws.

Application Requirements by Mail

Four (4) original copies of the duly accomplished Report of Birth (ROB) forms. Forms should be completely filled out in black ink, signed and notarized.

Covering letter (handwritten or typed), addressed to the Consular Section, indicating the specific service/ transaction requested. It is important to provide a telephone number and/or email address in case consular staff needs to contact the applicant.

Philippine Embassy
Civil Registration Unit
1617 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC, 20036

Original or certified true copy of the Birth Certificate, and four (4) photocopies.

Original copy of the Parents’ Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) Marriage Certificate or approved Report of Marriage (ROM); and four (4) photocopies. (Note: If married abroad and the same has not yet been reported, a Report of Marriage application should be filed simultaneously with the Report of Birth.)

Helpful Links:

If parents were not married at the time of child’s birth and mother had no prior subsisting marriage:

  1. Affidavit of Admission of Paternity (AAP) executed by the Father, if the father is willing to acknowledge paternity;
  2. Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF);
      1. Executed by the Mother, if the child is below 7 years old
      2. Executed by the child and attested by the mother, if the child is between 7 and 17 years old
      3. Executed by the child, if the child is 18 years old and above

Both affidavits have to be executed in four (4) original copies before a notary public and duly Apostillized/Authenticated by the appropriate competent authority.

Notarized copy of both parents’ passport data page, and three (3) photocopies.

Notarized copy of proof that the parent(s) was/were Filipino(s) at the time of child’s birth (examples: green card, US visa, US naturalization certificate, notice of action, work permit, dual IC) and three (3) photocopies. If the parent(s) is/are former Filipino/s, please also submit a notarized copy of the foreign naturalization certificate and three (3) photocopies.

If the child was included in a parent’s approved petition for retention/re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship, three (3) photocopies of the child’s Dual Citizenship Identification Certificate or Order of Approval/Petition for Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship, indicating the name of the child as a minor-beneficiary of the parent’s reacquisition of Philippine citizenship.

Notarized affidavit explaining the delayed registration if ROB is filed more than a year after the child was born and three (3) photocopies.

Self-Addressed USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate/Priority Express Return Envelope (with $9.90 Stamp and Tracking Number)

Processing Fees (non-refundable):

  • $25.00 for Report of Birth
  • $25.00 for Certificate of Registration of Legal Instrument for those executing AAP and/or AUSF.

Payable in cash or money order made payable to “Embassy of the Philippines”. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted. An additional service fee of $10 per document will be charged for requests for expedited release.

For applicants residing in U.S. territories or other countries within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, applicants should enclose a treasurer’s, manager’s or certified check issued by a local bank that has a correspondent bank in the U.S., payable to the courier of choice, in U.S. dollars, to cover cost of mailing, and a corresponding self-addressed courier’s address label. Personal checks are not accepted.

The Consular Officer reserves the right to require additional documents from an applicant, to prove his/ her identity and/or citizenship, and ensure accurate and complete personal data entries, pursuant to the Philippine Passport Law (R.A. 8239) and the Foreign Service Act (R.A. 7157).

Citizen's Charter

Frequently Asked Questions

How should the registrant’s name appear in the Report of Birth (ROB)?

The registrant’s name should be consistent with Philippine naming convention, such that all given names form part of the first name (entry #2 on the ROB form).

For registrants born legitimately:

Surname = Father’s surname

Middle name = Mother’s maiden last name

For registrants born out of wedlock and the mother has no prior subsisting marriage with a person other than registrant’s father:

Pursuant to RA 9255, the illegitimate child shall bear no middle name and the mother’s maiden name as surname.

If the biological father admits paternity, he should execute the Affidavit of Admission of Paternity (AAP) so the ROB can be annotated accordingly.

If an AAP is executed by the father, the registrant has the option to adopt the surname of the father as his/her surname. To do so, the mother/registrant, depending on registrant’s age, shall execute the Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF). The mother’s surname subsequently becomes registrant’s middle name, similar to the format of legitimate children.

For registrants born out of wedlock and the mother has a prior subsisting marriage with a person other than registrant’s father:

Pursuant to Article 167 of the Family Code of the Philippines, the registrant is presumed legitimate and shall bear the surname of the mother’s legal husband.

When is a child considered dual Filipino and American at birth?

A child born in the US on or after 17 January 1973 to at least 1 Filipino citizen parent is considered dual Filipino and American at birth. The birth would need to be reported to the Embassy/Consulate with jurisdiction over the place of birth so that the child can be recognized as a Filipino citizen. The child may apply for a Philippine passport upon completion of the Report of Birth.

Is it mandatory to apply for a Philippine passport after the Report of Birth is completed?

It is not mandatory to apply for a Philippine passport after completing the Report of Birth process. However, whenever traveling to the Philippines, especially if staying for an extended period and/or dealing with various public and private establishments such as the Philippine Bureau of Immigration, schools, banks, and real estate entities where proof of Philippine citizenship is required, possession of a Philippine passport, in addition to an approved ROB, facilitates transactions.

In case of loss of personal copy, how can I obtain another copy of my approved Report of Birth (ROB)?

All approved ROBs are forwarded to Manila and become part of the permanent record of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). After approximately six (6) months from the time of approval of the ROB, registrant may request for an authenticated copy from the PSA online at or or by visiting the various PSA Serbilis Centers.

For ROBs filed with the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC from April 2016 onwards, registrants may also apply for a certified true copy of the approved ROB with the Embassy for a fee of USD25.

Close Menu
PHP Code Snippets Powered By :